Renew or Relocate Guide: Phase 3 – Build Out
Now let’s begin!
Phase 3: Build out
Begin coordinating your move during construction, up to 24 weeks before your move-in date.
- Plan: define roles, resources, budget, timing, change messaging and vendors
- Communicate: prepare employee welcome materials and move instructions
- Transfer: finalize security, mail and technology moves
- Organize: label day 1 tasks, directions, workstations, keys and layout
- Confirm: check inventory, end of lease terms, final invoices and do a walk-through of your old space
- How far in advance should we be thinking about a move?
Earlier than you probably think. Even if you’re not moving and just renegotiating your lease, it is critical that you give yourself enough time to make a decision. Timelines vary per project, but a good rule of thumb is to begin Phase 1 no less than 6 to 9 months before your lease expires.
- What if I can’t determine my head count but we need to make a decision?
As a startup you may not have this problem, but with growth it can become incredibly difficult to determine your company’s headcount. Fortunately, growth metrics can help you make an educated guess. Growth metrics can vary from industry to industry but looking at trends from similar companies can help establish a baseline.
- If we do relocate, what’s the best way to manage employee concerns about change?
In any type of change, you should train employees, so they feel informed and prepared. But the best way to ensure a smooth transition is to make sure leadership is hearing them. That’s where HR and internal communications come in. Select change agents to prevent feedback from getting lost. And above all, communicate—regularly and throughout the process. Especially once the project is over.
Well, there you have it. All three Phases of our Renew or Relocate guide. If you are interested in our services, we’d be happy to help. Contact us today!